Netgear AX1800 WiFi Extender Setup
Are you tired of the lagging WiFi connection offered by your router? Well, it’s time to perk it up with an AX1800 range extender brought in by Netgear. After connecting your router with this very range extender, you will notice a dramatic increase in the internet speed. But, only connecting both devices is not enough. It is just a step involved in an attempt to improve WiFi connectivity. You have to go through the entire Netgear AX1800 WiFi extender setup process. How? Let’s find out.
How to Set Up Netgear AX1800 Extender?
For your information, 3 extender models fall under the AX1800 franchise introduced by Netgear. They are mentioned as follows:
- Netgear EAX15 dual-band WiFi 6 mesh extender
- Netgear EAX14 WiFi 6 mesh extender
- EAX20 dual-band WiFi 6 mesh extender 1.8 Gbps
All of these extender models can be installed using two different approaches i.e. the Manual method and the WPS method. The first demands the user to access the web-based management panel to setup Netgear extender whereas the second one only requires the push of a button. Walking through the upcoming sections will help you understand the concept clearly.
Prior to starting the installation process, gear up for the same. For this, you need to arrange for a few things and also ensure a few conditions. The first condition is the presence of an AX1800 extender in the room where your router is already present. Apart from this, get your hands on a WORKING LAN CABLE, DEFAULT DETAILS OF EXTENDER, and PC. However, you will not need all this if you attempt to install your range extender through the WPS approach.
Netgear AX1800 Setup | Manual Method
Given below are the steps that you must follow if you want to get your AX1800 WiFi 6 range extender up and running through the Manual method.
- Power down your WiFi router and ensure that your extender is also turned off.
- Wait for a few minutes and establish a LAN connection between both devices.
- Power on your Netgear range extender followed by the main WiFi router.
- Now, it is time to switch on your computer and connect it to the Netgear_ext network.
- Launch an internet browser and visit mywifiext.net or mywifiext.local.
- Enter the admin password and username of the router if prompted.
- Choose the network you wish to extend after selecting the NEW EXTENDER SETUP option.
- Set the SSID and WiFi password for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band.
- As soon as you save the settings, the Status page of the extender will appear.
- Your extender is set up!
The DEFAULT ADMIN PASSWORD of the Netgear AX1800 extender is “admin” (all lowercase). You can use the DEFAULT IP address i.e. 192.168.1.250 if mywifiext.net refuses to connect and to know about the DEFAULT SSID and WIFI PASSWORD, check the extender’s label.
Steps for Netgear AX1800 WiFi Extender Setup via WPS
The WPS method of installing the Netgear Nighthawk range extender is easier than the Manual one. The steps given below will help you understand how.
- Power up your Netgear WiFi AX1800 range extender after turning on the router.
- Be sure that both devices are placed close to each other for initial setup.
- Then, locate the WPS button on the extender and press it carefully.
- Push the same button on your WiFi router.
- Buttons need to be pressed once again for configuring the second frequency band.
- When the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands LED light up, you can conclude that the setup is successful.
This is to inform you that the WPS approach can be opted for the routers supporting the WPS configuration only. Else, you will have to proceed with the Manual method. However, there are chances that your router supports WPS but lacks the button. In that scenario, you must log in to it and click the option with the same label after pushing the WPS button on the Netgear AX1800 extender.
Netgear AX1800 WiFi Extender IP Not Working [Solutions]
The default IP of the AX1800 WiFi range extender is 192.168.1.250. You can use it for home network management if you cannot access the mywifiext.net URL. However, if you cannot access the default IP address, then the only possible reason might be the direct connection i.e. the ETHERNET CONNECTION between the extender and router. In this case, the extender’s IP gets changed. Therefore, you should log in to the host router and find the IP of your range extender from the list of connected devices.
Apart from the aforementioned reasons, the Netgear AX1800 IP also refuses to connect if the router fails to assign it the same. It happens due to partial boot-up. Therefore, boot up your range extender once again to resolve the error. You should go for this technique often when your extender starts acting out. Furthermore, keeping the firmware updated can also help you keep networking problems at bay.